I've probably written several dozen blog entries in my head over the past few years, but I've just now gotten the guts to share my thoughts with everyone. I wish I had started this a while ago, to better document our experiences and feelings as we fostered for the first time. I sent a few emails during that time, and may go back and find those to share, but for now I'll try to stick to current events.
First, I need to acknowledge my blatent plagiarism of my photo at the top of my blog. Yes, I took the picture, and it's my necklace, but I totally copied my good friend Kelli (read her blogs here and here) who has a similar necklace, and a similar picture on her blog. Hey, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, right? And she lives in Madagascar now, what's she going to do?! ;)
Since it's my first post, I have a lot on my mind. I'll try to save some for another post, and try to keep it interesting with lots of pictures.
I'm 37 weeks pregnant! I've had a wonderful pregnancy so far, and I'm so thankful for it!
Here we are at High Bridge Park in Wilmore, KY, just south of Lexington.
So we decided to view it from another angle last weekend. Turns out there's a nice little recreation spot with covered pavilions, a playground, and really pretty views! We took the opportunity to do some walking (because that's what pregnant women are supposed to do), enjoyed the nice weather, and some quality time together before baby comes. This is definitely a local landmark we plan to visit again, for picnics and playground dates.
The Nursery
The nursery is ready for baby! Check out that moose in the corner. Makes me smile. And there's the guitar pick mobile that I made (this kid better have some musical talent--Ben already has plans for a band)
and some awesome artwork by my friend Candi (inspired by this link I found on Pinterest)
Isn't she talented?!
Here's another Pinterest-inspired project (see instructions here) that I made with pieces of fabric from my Grandmother and Mamaw.
I'm also amazed at the talent of other family and friends who have made some beautiful crocheted blankets for baby. Aren't they gorgeous?!
I found these at a yard sale ($0.25 each!) a few summers ago. I reframed one, and painted the existing frame for the other. Norman Rockwell is just classic. These prints are called "First Down" and "A Day in the Life of a Boy".
My rocking chair with the tie pillow I made several years ago from ties that Ben didn't want anymore.
A nostalgic touch:
My rocking chair with the tie pillow I made several years ago from ties that Ben didn't want anymore.
And baby's closet.
Since I had a few baby items already, and since I have been given so many hand-me-down clothes, I requested diapers and wipes at some of my showers. And we got them! My mother in law suggested I count them...so I did :) Over 1,800 diapers! Any guesses on how long those will last us? I'm guessing not as long as we hope.
Since I had a few baby items already, and since I have been given so many hand-me-down clothes, I requested diapers and wipes at some of my showers. And we got them! My mother in law suggested I count them...so I did :) Over 1,800 diapers! Any guesses on how long those will last us? I'm guessing not as long as we hope.
Preparing for the Big Day
Per the advice of friends, we have our bags packed early, and the infant carrier is in the car. Batteries are charged for the camera and camcorder, and we're ready to go! I've even got burp cloths strategically placed around the house, and I'm having the carpets cleaned this week. Just waiting for contractions, or water breaking, or something. The only sign of progress so far: in my non-medical, first pregnancy, internet-researched opinion, the baby 'dropped' last week. My belly changed shape a bit (thus my maternity pants don't fit as well and most of my maternity shirts don't cover as much of my belly as I'd like), there's more pressure, and more frequent trips to the little girl's room. And since this occurance, I've been having some cramps. Nothing serious, but they usually happen when I've been standing a lot, or after I've worked all day. I'll call those Braxton-Hicks contractions.
My dear sweet momma came last week and cleaned my entire house! She cleaned toilets, showers, windows, mopped floors--the WHOLE house! And she helped me stock my freezer with meals!
I'm so thankful for my momma.
In preparation for baby's arrival, we took a birthing class called "Laboring the Natural Way". It was really more for our education and not because we think nonmedicated births are the only way to go. But my birth plan (that's right, for the class I had to write one) says I would prefer not to have an epidural. We've been practicing some exercises and I've been doing my stretches every night. And we'll see how it goes...because in the end, I just want a healthy baby.
Again, I just want to be educated about the birthing process, breast feeding, and those first few days so I can make well informed decisions in the labor/deliver and mother/baby room. Hopefully with a combination of stuff I've read and motherly instinct, we'll be able to take good care of baby
Guessing Games
While we do know we're having a baby boy (I don't know how people keep it a mystery, it would drive me nuts!), we haven't gotten a 3-D ultrasound so we don't know whose features he will have. One of the most common topics of conversation between Ben and me is who the baby may look like. Ben and I are as different as night and day. In my mind, baby has blond hair like his daddy. But Ben thinks baby will be born with dark hair. Neither of us had much hair when we were born, so he could be born with no hair! It's anybody's guess.
We also haven't shared baby's name with anyone. We never really put much thought into this decision, but it has been so fun to hear our friends and family guess!
Thankfully we shouldn't have to wait too much longer to know who he looks like, and to share his name. We can't wait!!


















You are such a great mom already! You'll do great! I LOVE your nursery! Now I have to have a boy. :)
ReplyDelete