Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Due Date

So today is my due date.  I was hoping to have a more exciting post to write, about our first few days with baby, my birth experience, etc. etc.  But not yet.  So since there's not a more exciting topic to discuss, this post will be a little bit of everything.

Anticipation:

For some reason I was just sure I was going to have this baby early.  Sometime after 37 weeks, but before 40 weeks.  And while I know I'll have the baby by next Thursday (induction scheduled for October 25), I'm on edge knowing that it could happen any time.  I feel like I've been preparing for a marathon, and I'm ready and standing on the starting line, just waiting for someone to yell "GO!" 

38 weeks
I really have so much to be thankful for.  I'm not miserable, not swollen, still mobile--I've actually had fun being pregnant.  Sure, there are a few things I won't miss:  waking up 100 times a night to go to the bathroom, heartburn every time I eat, needing help to get up off the floor, lotioning the new stretch marks every night.  But I'm sure I will miss being pregnant.  Ben and I have fun playing "guess that body part" when my belly moves, and there's nothing quite like feeling your baby move before he's born.  Everyone always answers my phone calls, usually before the second ring, and strangers open doors for me and smile when I'm in public.  It's kind of nice to always have my baby with me, always fed and warm and taken care of, protected from this world, and easily portable in my belly.

39 weeks
I know everyone has tips on how to jump start labor.  I've been walking a lot.  I'm still doing my stretches and squats (until my legs go to sleep and I need help getting off the floor).  I've been running up and down the stairs with a little extra bounce in my step.  I tried eating spicy food.  And it gave me heartburn.  So my new attitude is to be content, enjoy every moment left of the pregnancy, practice patience, and just wait.

At this point, most new dads may need to practice a few baby skills.  Since Ben doesn't need practice changing diapers or strapping a kid into a carseat, he said he should practice operating the new stroller:



Being a mom:

I've realized over these past few months how much I miss being a mom.  In June our foster boys that we'd had for 18 months went to live with their "forever family" that will be adopting them soon.  While this was a joyous occasion, and something we had been praying for for months, it also left a pretty big hole in our hearts.  Since then I've actually missed picking up toys every night before I go to bed, and cutting up someone else's food before I can sit down for a meal, and watching them learn new things.  It's fun to have someone around who always enjoys being silly and playing games.  I catch myself turning on the TV and thinking, "oh good, Sesame Street is on!" just to remember that's not really suitable programming for an adult without a toddler around.  And while having our own baby will never ever replace the relationship we have with the boys, it will certainly help to fill a little bit of the void in our home.  We'll have a new little person to teach and play with and watch grow.  And because of our experience with the boys, we both feel better equipped and more ready for our baby, and definitely ready to be parents again.

Moving on.

Nesting:

So I had heard about this instinct that kicks in near the end of pregnancy called nesting, when pregnant women clean, organize, and straighten things--sometimes strange things.  I thought, oh yea, I get that.  But I didn't really get it until I suddenly realized I needed to clean the lamp shades because they were dusty, needed to clean this thing (the air intake vent cover?)


because it looked filthy, needed to clean the window sills, top of the refrigerator, the baseboards behind the couch and loveseat, the crevice in the dishwasher where grossness lives, wash the couch pillows, and organize the recipe book...and all, like, now.  In addition to making our bed every single morning for the past 3 weeks and cleaning the bathroom sink and mirror every other day, and asking Ben to vaccuum at least 3 times a week (just in case I go into labor, these things need to be clean and tidy!). 

Favorite time of year:

I love Fall.  I love my mums and pumpkin on our front porch, and the cooler days, and the beautiful leaves all over our yard.  And I love that Kroger has this seasonal specialty!!

Sierra Mist Cranberry Splash...must be served with crushed ice and a straw
Ok, not really a Fall drink, but since retailers hear "end of Summer" and think "Christmas!", it's this time of year when they start stocking this stuff.  I had been looking for it for a few weeks to no avail, and then last Friday when I was working but Ben was off for Fall break, I came home to a stockpile!!  What a sweet husband!  It's caffiene free and it says "natural" on it, so it's practically a health drink, right?  ;)

Also each Fall, the little city of Wilmore, Kentucky has their annual craft festival.  This is the third year we've gone, and we always have fun looking at the booths of handmade crafts, farmer's market, and enjoying kettle corn.  It's usually held on Main Street and you really get that quaint, small town feel that reminds us more of home.  It's a nice escape from the busy-ness and big-ness of Lexington.  This year Ben was especially excited about the kettle corn.

Although his expression doesn't suggest it, he did share.
So much so, when we came home we attempted to make our own in a stove top popper.  I called my grandmother, who has expertice with the stove top popper, to get some idea of how much oil, sugar, and kernels to use.  My first attempt turned out ok (after I kind of freaked out and yelled for Ben to "cover my arms with a towel, the oil splatters!!").  After I perfect the recipe, maybe I'll pass it along.

Here's a recipe I think I'm ready to pass along:  Slow Cooker Tortilla Soup.  I adapted and simplified a recipe from Pinterest and the results were yummy!  Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Love this Jessica! I miss you. Praying for you, Ben and Baby!

    ReplyDelete